Sunday, October 18, 2009

Be Present....

I read an article this morning while having my morning coffee. In this article the author, Max Lucado, talks about being present. For instance when your children have a play at school, a soccer game, dance recital or whatever it is they do, go to it. Do not just say you will go to it, be present at the event.

This was kind of a wake up call for me, not because I don't go to these things, I do. As a single mom we are stretched beyond our abilities most days and the last thing we want to do is be present for anything other than sleep perhaps. We are phyiscally present, but are we emotionally present? Is our mind on the event or child? Or are we watching but thinking about bills, works, bill, tasks that need to be complete or whatever else there is to take the place of our child?

We do this job of parenting because we love our children. We want the best for them and its tiring! Down right friggen exhausting even. Especially of those that do not have much help from the ex because he lives over 3,000 miles away. Whoo hoo!

What about just taking time out to play with them? Read them a story? Today so far I have worked on a business plan, hugged a hurt child, got some laundry done and the bathroom cleaned, plus got my grandmother ready to go to the emergency room. Its only noon! I still have more cleaning to do, lunch and dinner to prepare and still more laundry to finish.

My goal for this week is to set aside a time for the kids. Family time. Every saturday afternoon is going to be reserved to go to the park, play games, watch movies or whatever else there is so that we are spending quality family time together.

What about you? Are you present? Hope all is well with you all!

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment